Are you interested in a career in policing? Great news, we are recruiting!
Find out more about our various student entry programmes, then hit the button below and apply today!
We offer the following student police officer entry routes into WMP:
- PCDA – the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (you don’t need a degree to join)
- DHEP – the Degree Holder Entry Route onto our student officer programme (if you have been to university and have a degree). We offer two DHEP courses:
- Regular PC training
- A course specifically for those who want to be a detective (this is known as DC DHEP).
- Pre-join degree / graduate of a Degree in Professional Policing Practice (DiPPP) – this is a new route that is specifically for graduates of the DiPPP and are now applying for roles in their chosen force.
As well as the programmes listed above we also work with various other national schemes, such as Direct Entry Inspector and Police Now, with new recruits joining us via the Police Now neighbourhood policing and detective programmes.
Policing is such a varied career.
Joining us can take you from a marked response car, into an investigations team supporting victims of abuse, through to attending a community meeting on a local estate.
The things that people remember, regardless of what role you play, are the everyday human skills a police officer uses when we reach out and offer support to those who need it.
Policing is about protecting people, preventing crime and helping those in need but it’s also about showing kindness, empathy and friendship.
That’s why This Work Matters.
We need your skills. You’re made for this.
What you need to know
- Entry routes vary depending on your experience and level of education
- You train for two or three years depending on which course you join
- During training you learn on the job while also completing formal study
- The study element of the course is delivered in partnership with Staffordshire University
- At the end of the PCDA you’ll graduate with a degree
- At the end of the DHEP you’ll graduate with a postgraduate qualification
- All fees for your training are covered by us – no tuition fees to pay!
- When you start, you’ll begin initial training for several weeks, learning the essential skills, before joining your first team
- Study time is protected and it’s mainly all online – so no travelling to University campuses
Like what you hear? There’s more…
- starting salaries are:
- £24,219 for PCDA
- £25,269 on DHEP
- £26,682 for those joining with PPD
- Your salary increases each year and will be over £40,000 within a few years
- There’s loads of discounts and benefits through our social club and Blue Light Card membership
- We offer supportive staff associations
- Free wellbeing support from our Employee Assistance Programme
- A great pension
- Salary sacrifice schemes for major purchases and cycle to work
- Great opportunity to progress to specialist roles and gain promotion
- Fast track schemes available for those who successfully apply to accelerate their career progression with an intensive training programme
- Annual awards ceremonies to acknowledge great work
Policing the West Midlands is diverse and fast-paced, but we are here to make a difference too.
We’re the second biggest force in the country and we cover the UK’s second city, as well as other busy towns, cities and villages. Careers with us are varied and demanding – but exciting too. From major incidents to community policing, every day is different, a career with WMP has lots to offer.
We are here to make a difference in local communities. This work matters.
- What’s life like @WMP
- You’re made for this
- Am I eligible?
- What’s the process?
- Achieving your degree apprenticeship
- Diversity, Inclusion and Support
- The detailed stuff and FAQs
- Studying for or graduated from a Professional Policing degree?
- Policing – the whole truth
- Discovery Events