West Midlands Police is the second largest police force in the country, covering an area of 348 square miles and serving a population of almost 2.8 million.
The region sits at the very heart of the country and covers the three major centres of Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton. It also includes the busy and thriving districts of Sandwell, Walsall, Solihull and Dudley. Leisure, retail and conference amenities, together with Premiership and Championship football teams, attract millions of visitors annually.
The West Midlands is an area rich in diversity, with 18 per cent of its population from ethnic minority backgrounds.
An average of 170,000 motorists travel through the region daily, making its motorways some of the busiest in Europe.
Against this backdrop, the force deals with more than 2,000 emergency calls for help every day, as well as patrolling the streets and responding to incidents 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week.
Our Vision and Values
Preventing crime, protecting people and helping those in need is our vision.
West Midlands Police is made up of people like you and these are the values which unite us all:
I prevent crime
- I work in partnership to create safer communities
- I am creative and think of new approaches
I offer friendship and service
- I care about the people I serve
- I am honest and I earn people’s trust
- I show friendship by helping the public, partners and colleagues – particularly those who may not realise they need our help
I am courageous and fair
- I stand up for the right things
- I challenge unreasonable and discriminatory behaviour
- I make the right decisions, however tough they are
- I want to work in a diverse team
I listen and learn
- I accept and admit when I am wrong
- I learn lessons
- I let the public see how we work because I welcome openness
I am proud of what I do
- I am a strong performer and colleagues can rely on me
- I inspire others with my passion for policing
- I challenge and address poor service
- I deliver a service my family would be proud of
While our vision drives us and our shared values guide us, these are the principles under which WMP operates:
- We trust our people to act with integrity and make good decisions
- We listen to, involve and empower the public to create safer communities
- We prevent crime through early intervention and partnership
- We respond effectively and at pace to crimes in our communities
- We apply an evidenced-based approach to problems and learning
- Information drives our actions
This is our policing ambition for the next two years. Together we will:
- Keep crime low
- Inspire greater trust, especially from the young, the vulnerable and our diverse communities
- Increase citizen participation in creating safer communities
- Trust and care for our colleagues
- Protect the public from terrorism, and serious and organised crime
- Protect the most vulnerable from abuse
- Prevent violence
- Prevent dependency on public services by effective policing of repeat victims and callers, neighbourhoods, mental illness and persistent offenders
- Offer more effective services by sharing problems and integrating with other agencies
- Offer modern digital services that meet the needs of communities, staff and partners
- Develop our ability to create insight and foresight from our information
- Improve our efficiency to invest more resources in preventing crime
For more information follow this link to read the current Police and Crime Plan as set out by the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner.